Bored Little Riley Rabbit - Children's Story
Bored Little Riley Rabbit
A children's story by F.W.C
All was quiet in the slumbering woods. Not a peep or a sound, a deer or a hound. All was quiet, and all was still. Except for a little squeaking sound. ‘Crunch, crisp, crack,’ crunched the fresh snow, the little rabbit leaving prints wherever he went.
“Where is everyone?” he said with a thump. “It's barely noon and there is no one to show!” The little rabbit balled up his fists, his snow-white tail getting lost in the morning mist. “Hello? Is anyone there? I’m terribly bored!” cried the little rabbit.
Only silence greeted him back, the wind brushing and swaying the snow-covered trees. Winter had come, you see, and everyone else had somewhere better to be! The birds had migrated, the squirrels had hibernated, and poor little rabbit felt so very isolated!
“How can this be? Where has everyone gone?” cried poor little Riley rabbit as he hopped through the snow. “Maybe my friends are simply at home? Perhaps if I check on them, I will have somewhere to go!” And with a hip and hop and flip and flop, he made his way through the thick-covered snow.
“I know!” he said with a jumping cry. “I’ll see Hedwig the Hedgehog; surely she doesn’t mind the snow?” And with a hip and hop and flip and flop, he made his way through the thick-covered snow.
Hedwig was nowhere to be found! She usually hung out around this great big mound! It was her favourite spot, here by the mushrooms and moss. The leaves had piled up here under the snow, leaving great big mounds just lying around.
“HEDWIG! COME OUT AND PLAY! I’M EVER SO BORED ON THIS DULL WINTER’S DAY!” shouted the little round rabbit at the top of his lungs.
With a soft whimpering cry, Riley rabbit heard his friend come alive and speak. “Go away, Riley, can’t you see I’m asleep? It's wintertime, and I’m trying to sleep!”
Riley's ears drooped, his face turned to a frown. “Well, that's just fine! I didn’t want you around! I’ll find someone else! Someone who can appreciate my friendship better! I bet you Milly Mouse will play in the snow!” And with that, he thought it was time to go.
The rabbit hopped and flopped grumpily through the snow. Disappointed for sure, that he had no friends to show. The snow and ice were fun, just you see! Who could be so boring as to just hide and sleep? There were games to be had and food to be eaten! Winter was no time to stay down and be beaten! And with a hip and hop and flip and flop, he made his way through the thick-covered snow.
Milly Mouse lived in a house under the mistletoe. It was small and sweet, and just like her. During the summer, it was always a buzz, as Milly would always host fantastic parties! She cooked, and cleaned, and was ever so pristine! There was never a speck of dust to show. But today, however, she had let herself go! The curtains were drawn, the door slammed shut, and even the garden was covered in muck!
“MILLY! COME OUT AND PLAY! I’M EVER SO BORED ON THIS DULL WINTER’S DAY!” shouted the little round rabbit at the top of his lungs.
With a loud, shrill squeak, Riley rabbit heard his friend come alive and speak. “Go away, Riley, can’t you see I’m asleep? It's wintertime, and I’m trying to sleep!”
Riley stomped his feet and had his tail tucked in as he danced on his feet. “Well, that's just fine! I didn’t want you around! I’ll find someone else! Someone who can appreciate my friendship better! I bet you Finley the Frog will play in the snow!” And with that, he thought it was time to go.
Riley jumped and headed towards the pond. How could anyone be so moody about the snow? It was wintertime, the funniest time of the year! There were sledging, snowball fights, and hot cocoa to be had! Who could be so boring as to just hide and sleep? Winter was no time to stay indoors and sleep! And with a hip and hop and flip and flop, he made his way through the thick-covered snow.
The pond was Finley's favourite spot; he’d sit and croak for hours and hours, jumping around from lily pad to lily pad. Today, however, the pond was frozen! And flickers of light came deep from below as the fish swam past.
“FINLEY! COME OUT AND PLAY! I’M EVER SO BORED ON THIS DULL WINTER DAY!” shouted the little round rabbit at the top of his lungs.
With a croaking bellow, Riley rabbit heard his friend come alive and speak. “Go away, Riley, can’t you see I’m asleep? It's wintertime, and I’m trying to sleep!”
Riley crossed his arms in a grump as he scrunched up his nose. “Well, that's just fine! I didn’t want you around! I’ll find someone else! Someone who can appreciate my friendship better! I bet you… I bet you…” But Riley had run out of friends, you see, as it appeared they were all asleep!
Riley headed home, sad and defeated. “What's the point if they are all asleep? Can’t have fun all by myself. There's just no point; it's just no fun!” Riley climbed into bed and pulled up the covers. “Maybe they're right?” he wondered to himself sadly. No one wants to play in the snow…
“RILEY! COME OUT AND PLAY! I’M EVER SO BORED ON THIS DULL WINTER'S EVE!” hooted a loud, gleeful voice indeed—it was Barny the Barn Owl! Of course! How could he have forgotten? He always played with Barny, just only after dark!
Barny was nocturnal, and slept through the day! But come nighttime, he was a beaming, shining ray! “Hurray at last, a friend to play!” cried the happy little rabbit coming out to play!
The End.

Comments
Post a Comment